Carolina Creek Christian Camps was founded in 2002 by Dr. L.E. and Shelley Richey and Keith and Carrie Oglesby. The Carolina Creek vision was to meet a need in the Greater Houston area for summer youth camping and year-round retreat facilities, serving churches, youth organizations, civic organizations, and family reunions. Encouraged and supported by several area Christian philanthropists, a Board of Directors was formed, and Carolina Creek Christian Camps, a non-denominational independent 501C (3) Christian camp was born!
Situated on 440-acres of waterfront property 90 miles northeast of downtown Houston and three hours south of Dallas, this heavily wooded property has over two miles of water frontage. In 2003, Carolina Creek opened its first camp, Lakeview, with 1,703 summer campers and 3,616 annual campers. By 2005, Carolina Creek had over 2,000 summer campers on their waiting list! In 2006, Carolina Creek opened its second camp, Creekside. By 2011, Carolina Creek had once again reached its maximum capacity for summer campers at both camps. Carolina Creek’s non-summer retreat growth was also experiencing similar growth.
To meet this growing demand, the Board of Directors voted unanimously to once again step out in faith, raising the $7.0 million necessary to build a unique, one-of-a-kind camp by June of 2012 named The W!LD. This time, the Board acquired the consulting expertise of McNair Wilson, a former Walt Disney World Imagineering Creative Arts Director, to help them develop an incredible interactive Christian camp experience. This new camp was specifically designed for children ages Kindergarten to the fifth grade, an underserved market in the Christian Camping world. The W!LD was born of the vision to reach these children with the gospel message of Jesus Christ as early as possible. With shorter, more economical sessions, parents can send these first time campers to truly experience the love of Jesus Christ through age appropriate activities and sensitivities.
With the addition of The W!LD, Carolina Creek Christian Camps has fulfilled the original vision to SERVE all ages through these different campsites. The history would not be complete without mentioning the incredible, carefully chosen full-time staff and summer counselors who, over the years, have embodied the very vision and mission of Carolina Creek. Please visit our current staff here.
Carolina Creek Christian Camp’s Mission
For all to know and experience the love of Jesus Christ.
Carolina Creek Christian Camps Statement of Faith
- We believe in one true God, eternally existent in three positions: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- God the Father “ God has revealed himself as the eternal self-existent creator of Heaven and Earth, and in Him is perfect love, forgiveness, justice and eternal life. (Gen 1:1, Exodus 3:14, Isaiah 43:10-11)
- God the Son “ Jesus Christ is God’s only son. Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, and lived a perfect sinless life. He performed many miracles, suffered under Pontius Pilate, and on the third day His physical body rose from the dead. Then He ascended into heaven, and now sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. His present ministry is intercession on our behalf, and from there He will come to judge the living and the dead and His kingdom will have no end. (Colossians 1:15-22, I Thes 4:16, I Peter 3:18)
- God the Holy Spirit “ God works in the present and continues to minister through His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit indwells, convicts, forgives, regenerates, cleanses and empowers the Christian believer for a life of holiness and useful service to God and humanity. (John 14:16, Rom 8:14, 16, Ephesians 1:13, Philippians 1:6, 2:13)
- We believe both the Old and New Testaments of the Bible to be sacred scripture as God’s infallible, authoritative, inerrant written word and revelation, inspired by the Holy Spirit. (II Timothy 3:15-17, II Peter 1:19-21)
- We believe that man was created in the image of God, but was separated from God by sin. We believe that Jesus Christ is the only savior for mankind: He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no one comes to the Father except through Him.) Gen 1:27, Rom 3:23, 6:23, 8:23,Heb 9:27, John 14:6, Acts 4:12, Rom 5:12)
- We confess: by grace alone, in faith in Christ’s saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping us and calling us to good works.
Carolina Creek Board of Directors
J. Michael Jobe, Chairman
L.E. Richey, Chair Emeritus
CAROLINA CREEK FULL-TIME STAFF
God First. Others Second. I’m Third. This is what sets the Carolina Creek Christian Camps staff apart from others. We love God above all else and serve beyond what is expected, in order to show Christ to everyone who enters the camp gates. Our full time staff is committed to the mission of Carolina Creek, for the sake of the Gospel, so that our guests may know and experience the love of Christ. We hope to have the privilege of ministering to you soon!
Marketing and Fundraising
Guest Services Lead
Food Services Lead
Guest Services Host
Guest Services Host
Adventure Rec Specialist